Tuesday, March 22, 2016

English Camp

Our church is hosting an English club for kids this week and I was asked to help. I was available to help today and will be again on Thursday so I went with Dez today. 

It turns out that I was in charge of a group for two 1-hour sessions. The theme for the day was "at a cafe/restaurant" and even though I hadn't really prepared it was easy enough to make it up as I went along, and the kids in my group were the oldest ones and spoke the most English. 

At the end of the lesson time everyone gathered around for 20 minutes while I shared all about myself. It was.....easier than I thought to talk for 20 minutes! With speaking very slowly and clearly and the added element of translation, it was really five minutes of talking spread out over 20 minutes. 

Kids playing games: 

Team games: 


Thursday will be the last day and will be a competition and repeat of all of the things they've learned all week.

This week is the first week of spring break....each school in the city chooses whichever week they want for spring break so there's this week and next week that kids are off in the schools we're involved in. Steve is doing two sports days this week - today they played hockey and frisbee at the park, and on Thursday they'll meet again. Next week we'll probably rent the gym at school 25 and have a sport every day if the gym is available.


No comments: